Dermamelan Pigmentation Treatment at Santi | Melasma
Dermamelan is the result of years of research by a Spanish research laboratory into skin pigmentation disorders. Possibly now established as the gold standard when treating pigmentary disorders including melasma.
WHAT IS A DERMAMELAN PEEL?
Dermamelan is a medium depth skin peel that utilises key organic acids in removing and suppressing melanin, the cells that cause pigmentation. The treatment is a combination of in-clinic treatment and a complete home-care protocol for the application of specialsed creams morning and night.
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE USED FOR?
Dermamelan is excellent for treating the following pigmentation concerns:
• Cholasma /Melasma – brown or dark brown patches on the skin that usually occur with hormonal changes eg after pregnancy or when going on the contraceptive pill
• Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation - such as after acne or after other treatments that may have caused pigmentation
• Sun Damage - uneven skin tone caused by prolonged- exposure to the sun
WHO IS THE TREATMENT SUITABLE FOR?
Dermamelan is suitable for all skin types from Caucasians to darker skin tones. Whilst the treatment is desined for those with particularly bad pigmentaiton; it can also be used by those with minor pigmentation or sun damage but looking for a quick fix.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE PROCEDURE?
The Dermamelan treatment consists of two phases and takes 6 -12 months to complete. The typical process at Zenithwill run as follows:
Your first appointment at Santi will be an in-depth consultation taking 45 minutes. We take a detailed history of your skin condition, advise you on the protocol and steps that you will be taking in terms of a home care routine; and then we give you a gentle peel that will prepare your skin for the main treatment that will take place a week later. The main treatment takes 45mins. We advise that you come in a hat or a scarf. It's also advisable to take a taxi back home after treatment. We then dispense your first month's supply of home care products that you must use diligently.
After phase one you will be required to attend further visits to the Clinic usually after 48 hours, and then 1 month post treatment. Throughout the first 3 to 6 months (depending on the dermemelan pckage) we provide you with a-z of your home care requirement.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OR RISKS?
Dermamelan is a very safe procedure delivering excellent results. However there are a number of common side effects that can occur:
• Tightness – 5-6 days after your Dermamelan cream mask is removed, your skin can feel tight and may appear swollen.
• Redness – once the mask is removed and during the use of the home creams the face can appear blushed this will vary depending on each patient.
• Skin Peeling – it is normal to experience some level of peeling of your skin within the first 7 to 21 days. This can vary from patient to patient and you may want to consider booking a few days off from work. The peeling can persist during your treatment course, but this usually starts to settle as the skin starts to build up a tolerance.
WHAT RESULTS CAN I TYPICALLY EXPECT?
Most often, this treatments yields results within a week after the professional treatment, with 80% improvement in the first month. Most patients are happy at this stage. Perseverance with the home care products continues to yield positive results.
Added benefits include better hydrated skin, reduced pore size, regulated sebum production and a general rejuvenation of the surface of the skin.
DAY OF THE TREATMENT
After you have had your initial dermamelan consultation we will schedule you in to start phase 1, prior to this we will require you to adhere the following:
• Please ensure you arrive on the day of your treatment with no make-up on.
• Ensure you have suitable mode of transport as we wouldn’t advise taking public transport.